What to Look for in Bedroom Furniture
Buying bedroom furniture doesn’t have to be an overwhelming task when you have a little bit of guidance to help you know what to look for and help you choose what is right for your style and what kind of mood you want to set in your bedroom.
1. Bed Sizes. The bed is the piece of furniture that takes up the most space in your room so it’s important to know what size your bedroom is and match the bed to the size of the room and your other bedroom furniture. Here is a list of bed sizes so you know what to look for.
- California King: 72” x 84”
- Regular King: 76” x 80”
- Queen: 60” x 80”
- Full or Double: 54” x 75”
- Twin or Single: 39” x 75”
A typical bed would have a headboard and a footboard. Typically, the headboard is quite a bit taller than the footboard, and some beds don’t have a footboard at all.
If your bedroom furniture style is of an antique style or old farm house style you may want to go with a wrought iron type frame. If you are looking for a very rich and warm style, perhaps a sleigh bed in a dark red or dark brown finish would be more to your liking. If the furniture is for a little girl’s room, a popular choice may be a princess canopy bed.
If you are very tall, you may want to forego a footboard so it does not inhibit you from fully stretching out and using the end of the bed.
If your style is more of a modern style, you might look for a bed that has a low-profile platform.
2. Nightstands. Once you have your bed picked out, you can pick out your nightstands. Whether you go with one for one side of the bed, depending on your room size, or two – one for each side of the bed, you’ll base it on the style of your bed. If the style you choose for your bed is that of wrought iron or wood, a nice light oak nightstand would be a good match for a good contrast in color and add to that style, or even one finished with a black stain. You’ll also need to check the height of the nightstand, keeping in mind where you’ll be reaching while lying down. The top of the nightstand should be approximately the same height as the top of the mattress.
3. Armoire. An armoire can be a very functional piece of bedroom furniture as either extra closet space or can be used as an entertainment center for the bedroom. It should match the theme of the other furniture in the room, and you must keep in mind the size of the room and make sure you have space for it. It should be a compliment to the other furniture and not necessarily dominate the room.
4. Dressers/Chests of Drawers. When choosing this piece it is very important in checking the sizes of the drawers and what your needs are when it comes to your clothing and what you’ll be storing in the drawers. Make sure the drawers slide easily and are sturdy enough for your belongings. You’ll once again want the dresser or chest to match the rest of the bedroom furniture and pick the style to your liking.
When you’re shopping for your new bedroom furniture, keep in mind that many pieces can be purchased in a full bedroom set so you take the guesswork out of what pieces match each other. You can pick the perfect style that fits who you are.